Always fun when you are surprised while cooking. This morning I was trying to find a use for some leftover Mascarpone Cheese I had from a dinner party Saturday. Came across this recipe from Bobby Flay, and got to work…OH MY GOODNESS…so, so good! I will never be able to eat “normal” pancakes again! 😉
I modified the recipe a bit, only because it was 5am and I didn’t have all of the ingredients…but I am so happy with the results I just had to share.
Original Recipe: Cinnamon Mascarpone Pancakes with Warm Morello Cherries and Hazelnuts – Bobby Flay (Brunch at Bobby’s)
What You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoons raw Honey
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup of Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated Lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of butter melted + more for the griddle
How it’s Done:
- Mix together, in small bowl, the 1/2 c of Mascarpone with the honey. Set aside for serving.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda & salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. Then add heavy cream, 1/3c mascarpone, vanilla & lemon zest. Mix until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Add butter and mix until just combined. Like ALL pancake mix, DO NOT OVER MIX. Let the batter sit at room temperature for 20 min.
- Heat griddle (or cast-iron skillet in my case) to medium heat, brush with some melted butter. I like to make smaller pancakes (about 2 inches in diameter) I use about 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake…flip when bottom is lightly golden and bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake. Flip and cook until that side is golden. Mine worked out to be about 1 min per side.
- Toppings: This really can be whatever you want it to be. (Bobby Flay created a Cherry Brandy Hazelnut sauce in his recipe.) I opted for a more basic route: A few dollops for the Honeyed Mascarpone, toasted pine nuts & real Vermont Maple Syrup.