I cannot believe I have been “missing out” on this Fruit for so many years! I was given a bunch of Fuyu Persimmons recently and was inspired to create something. After a few attempts and recipes it has quickly become apparent that this unique fruit will be a staple, in my kitchen, each Autumn season! This recipe takes some time, since I use my SlowCooker, BUT it is easy and so worth it!
Let me preface, I am a huge fan of Apple Butter…So I am very excited to conclude…This might be the best Fruit Butter I have ever tasted! Batch 2 is already in the works, I simple cannot get enough!
Recipe Secret: I’ve begun grinding my own seasoning when I can. I have a small Mortar & Pestle that works well for small batches, and I honestly think it makes a significant difference in the vibrancy of your seasonings!
What You Will Need:
- 10-12 Fuyu Persimmons
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves (fine, freshly ground)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (fine, freshly ground)
- 1/3 cup raw local Honey
- 6-7 jars (6 oz each)
- 6 qt SlowCooker (if using a smaller capacity, simply adjust the ingredients)
- High Powered Blender (I wanted a very smooth consistency)
How It’s Done:
- Wash, and trim the tops off the Persimmons. The roughly quarter, removing any hard seeds, and add to the slow cooker.
- Juice the Lemon over the top of the Persimmons, give them a stir to ensure even distribution.
- Cook on High for 2 Hours
- After the 2 hrs, roughly mash the Persimmons and add the rest of your ingredients.
- Cook on Low, for 8 hrs (or overnight) If possible stir every couple of hours.
- Once complete, remove from the Slow Cooker and allow to cool completely.
- Add to Blender, if using a standard blender work in small batches, Pulse them Puree until a smooth consistency is achieved
- Be sure to use sterilized jars (place in boiling water for 5 min before filling) Let the contents reach room temperature before refrigerating. Persimmon Butter will keep for several weeks (But it probably won’t last that long 😉
Note: Aside from the obvious uses…I think I could eat a whole loaf of bread with this stuff! This would be a great addition to a pork dish. I make a roasted Pork Loin that would be a great paired with these flavors! Be creative & enjoy!