Another of my favorite “comfort meals” is Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese…but have you looked at the ingredients for your favorite canned soup recently? SO i had to figure out how to make this myself! In place of the grilled cheese I also made Grain Free Cheddar Bay Biscuits!!
What you will need:
- 2 lbs of ripe tomatoes
- 1 large white onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 16 oz of vegetable broth
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
How it’s Done:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each tomato into 8 equal parts and place them on the parchment paper, skin side down.
- slice onion, half the garlic cloves and add to cookie sheet
- drizzle with olive oil
- Roast for 40 min
- Transfer roasted vegetables with roasting juices to a large sauce pan and add vegetable broth, thyme & bay leaf. Simmer for 20 min.
- Remove thyme and bay leaf…puree the soup.
- I waited for the mixture to cool then pureed it in my Blendtec
- Then added it back to the sauce pan to re-heat
- Season to taste
- While the soup warms, slice the mozzarella thin
- Serve the soup & add mozzarella on top…enjoy!
Cheesy Garlic Biscuits (Grain-Free Red Lobster Biscuits)
What you will need:
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 egg, cold
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp butter, softened (I used salted)
**Finish with Salted butter & dried or fresh parsley
How it’s done:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients. Then add remaining ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well blended.
- Use scoop to scoop out dough onto un-greased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (or not, see notes above).
- Space 2-3 inches a part.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes for small biscuits and 20 minutes for medium biscuits.
- Once out of oven, smear a bit of salted butter and sprinkle with a little parsley. Best served warm.