Are you looking for a different way to serve Cauliflower?? Then you MUST check out this Middle Eastern Classic!!
I fell in love with these flavors while living in NYC…there was a guy at a middle eastern convenience store that made these Fried Cauliflower wraps for me on a weekly basis. It was heaven! So when I found these recipes I was thrilled!!! This Tahini sauce is amazing, so I ALWAYS double the recipe to ensure there are leftovers!
- 1 head of Cauliflower, cut/broken into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- Olive Oil
- ½ c. tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 4 lg cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ c. lemon juice
- 1 tsp parsley (fine chop)
- 2 medium yellow onions sliced very thin (I use a mandolin slicer)
- Olive oil
NOTE: In my cooking, I use stainless steel exclusively, and I have to warn you…you cannot be afraid to BURN your pan. I have been fortunate, and have always been able to get mine clean & shinny again…but it can get pretty scorched.
- Clean and chop cauliflower then set aside
- Combine with mortar & pestle (or a food processor) garlic and tahini. Add oil, lemon juice, and a tablespoon of warm water.(I like the tahini thick since it is going over hot cauliflower…but you can add more warm water until you get the desired consistency.) Mix in parsley and set aside.
- In a large pan, add oil, enough to cover the bottom of the pan. (Heat until oil sizzles when you add a drop of water)
- Add cauliflower to pan with med heat, tossing occasionally…you want to get some color on the florets. When al dente, add pine nuts, cook for 1 minute and remove from heat into large bowl.
- Add the tahini sauce to the florets and set aside, I keep mine in the microwave so that it stays warm (one of the few things I use it for)
- Next add about 3 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil to pan (I use the same pan the cauliflower was just in) Heat until butter sizzles and add in the Onions
- Mix the Onions and butter/oil together so that they are well coated, turn heat to Med/High. Process takes 15-20 min, Resist the urge to stir the onions, you want them to burn slightly.
- Once at desired consistency, remove from pan to a paper towel lined plate, pat off excess oil and add to the Cauliflower. SERVE immediately
Recipe Inspiration from: