With parties and family gatherings on the horizon this is a great alternative (no grain) “finger food” or appetizer!!
I’ve made the “cauliflower crust” in the past and I promise that THIS one works…the trick is making sure that the Cauliflower Rice is REALLY, REALLY dry.
What you will need:
- 1 head of cauliflower (cut into small floretts, you should have about 3 cups once processed)
- 1/2 c of Mozzarella cheese shredded (I used fresh, it was tricky to “shred” but worth the trouble)
- 1 egg (I only use Pastured Eggs)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Olive oil
- More shredded Mozzarella
- Tomato slices (I used what I had, grape tomatoes, sliced thin)
- Fresh basil
How it’s done:
- Preheat oven to 450°F, line cookie sheet with parchment paper, and grease with Olive Oil
- Take the raw cauliflower and process it in your blender or food processor (until riced)
- Heat large sauce pan (to cook processed cauliflower) of water to boiling, add Cauliflower…let cook for 5-8 min…until tender.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze out as much moisture as you can (I squeezed out more than 1 cup of liquid). This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry. Otherwise you’ll end up with a mushy dough, not a crusty one.
- Transfer Cauliflower to a large mixing bowl and let it cool slightly (you don’t want to cook your egg just yet)
- Add egg, mozzarella, oregano, sea salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Scoop one tablespoon of cauliflower mixture and drop onto the baking sheet. Pat into a thin round circle about 2-inches wide. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Cook for about 20 min, or until slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and top each pizzette with shredded cheese, tomato slices.
10. Broil until the cheese melts and the tomatos are slightly roasted (3-5 min)
11. Remove from oven, let them cool (5 min), top with fresh basil…and Serve!
Recipe inspiration from : www.theironyou.com