I LOVE my old recipe of Chicken Tortilla Soup…BUT it’s full of things I don’t eat anymore, SO I am really excited that this taste delicious!!! I usually make a double batch and freeze half of it.
Prep Time 15 min ~~ Cook Time 1.25 hrs
What you will need:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 medium jalapeno
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1.5lb. chicken breast
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes w/chilies
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 medium lime
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 medium avocado
How it’s done:
- Dice the onion, celery, and jalapeno (scrape the seeds out of the jalapeno before dicing). Mince the garlic. Cook the onion, celery, jalapeno, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the chicken breast, chicken broth, canned tomatoes with chilies, oregano, and cumin to the pot. Bring the whole pot up to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to low, place a lid on top, and let simmer for one hour.
- After simmering for an hour with a lid on, carefully remove the chicken breast from the pot and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the meat to the pot. Squeeze the juice of one lime into the soup. Get as much juice as possible from the lime by using a spoon to scrape the inside of the lime.
- Rinse the cilantro and then roughly chop the leaves. Add to the pot, give it a quick stir, and serve. Dice the avocado and add a few chunks to each bowl. (if you are OK with dairy, you can also add cheddar cheese & sour cream)
Inspiration From: http://www.budgetbytes.com