Sometimes I get desperate for SOMETHING new, so this weekend we gave these a go! I am really inconsistent when it comes to frying food, so they may not look as good as they should…but they tasted Great! I topped these with a little Tzatziki, but anything with a little citrus would be good.
What you will need:
- 2 medium zucchini (about 7 ounces each), coarsely shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 3 large scallions, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh sheep-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 c COCONUT Flour (original recipe used 3/4 cup all-purpose flour )
- Olive Oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How it’s done:
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, garlic, scallions, ricotta, eggs, lemon zest and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Stir well, then stir in the flour just until incorporated.
- Line a large baking sheet with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of olive oil until shimmering. Working in batches, add 2-tablespoon mounds of the zucchini batter to the hot oil, spreading them to form 3-inch fritters. Fry over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain the fritters on the paper towels and serve right away, with lemon wedges.
Make Ahead: The fritters can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours and re-crisped in a 325° oven.