This is the dish that used to make me miss potatoes like CRAZY…until I found that this works so well! It is a Fantastic cold weather dish, although I am pretty sure I made it 3 times this summer! We love it! Legumes and all!! (gotta cheat sometimes, right?)
What you will need:
- 8 oz Grass fed Butter (I use Kerrygold)
- 2 lbs Grass fed Ground Beef or Bison
- 2 c. Fresh Peas (yes, these are legumes…we make an exception on this dish)
- 3 Heads of cauliflower
- 1 yellow or white onion
- Yellow Cheddar cheese (grass fed)
- 1 tbsp EVOO
How it’s Done:
Preheat 350 degrees
- Make Cauliflower Mash: rinse and cut cauliflower, steam until VERY tender. If you are short on time you can mash these by hand. I will add salt to taste and about 4-5 oz of butter to them as I mash. IF you have time to let them cool a bit I will “mash” them in my Blendtec…just creates a smoother texture. Both ways taste GREAT!
- In a large frying pan add oil, chopped onion, & ground beef. Only cook Ground beef about 75% of way…you should still see a bit of pink. Drain meat of grease, set aside.
- I usually just wipe down the same pan … add the remaining butter and peas. I sauté them for about 5-7 minutes. You basically just want to get them a little soft. Drain off excess butter.
- In a 3 qt Corningware dish I layer: The ground beef & onion, the peas, then cauliflower mash.
- Bake for 30-35 min. The edges with slightly brown and pull from the sides of the dish. I shred the cheddar cheese and sprinkle on top generously and bake for an additional 5-10 min … until I like the way it looks 🙂
- Let in sit for at least 5 minutes, contents will be VERY hot!