Loving this Spicy Salad!!
- 1 bunch Tuscan Kale (aka black or lacinato)
- 2 handfuls of toasted, unsweetened , shredded coconut
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, plus a pinch
- 1/4 c. finely grated Asiago Cheese
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for garnish
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Trim the bottom two inches off the kale stems and discard. (Note: I also remove the ribs from each kale leaf.) Slice the kale into 3/4-inch ribbons. You should have 4-5 cups. Place the kale in a large bowl.
Using a mortar and pestle or a heavy knife, pound or mince the garlic and 1/4 tsp. salt into a paste (if using a knife, use the side to smear and smush the garlic once it’s minced). Transfer the garlic to a small bowl. Add 1/4 c. cheese, 3 Tbsp. oil, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, pepper flakes, and black pepper and whisk to combine.
Pour the dressing over the kale and toss very well to combine thoroughly (the dressing will be thick and need lots of tossing to coat the leaves). Let the salad sit for 5 minutes (Note: Or up to an hour), then serve topped with the toasted coconut, additional cheese, and a drizzle of oil.
Toasting the Coconut: On a cookie sheet, use parchment paper. Sprinkle a single layer of shredded coconut. Toast in oven at 350 degrees…for about 4-5 min (I would keep an eye on this, it tends to burn quickly) You want it to be golden brown.
Recipe adapted from http://www.minnesotamonthly.com